[imp] Japanese characters and maintenance problem

Son Truong svt at st-andrews.ac.uk
Tue Feb 4 16:36:33 PST 2003

Hello Again,

A user has reported this problem and I wondered if I am on
the right line...

The user is Japanese and has only recently used the language
option to set webmail to use the appropriate language. This month
when he logged in the monthly maintenance kicked in to move
his sent mail folder to 'sentmail-month-year'. It failed complaining
something on the line of  "{xxx:143/imap}mail/sentmail-1-i-2003".

I first checked his mail directory to find that he has a sent mail file
called 'sent-mail- 1·î-2003' with the funny characters. And then
I checked the horde.log file to find the same character(s) being
logged as part of the date.

Am I correct in saying that Horde/IMP is trying to save and write
to the log file using a Japanese character - a character outside of
the character set that the underlying system doesn't understand?
If this is so, how can fix this so that the translated characters are
translated back (or to something sensible) when performing
system specific tasks (such as writing files and logging)?

Any pointers would be most appreciated,
Son

--
Son V Truong * Systems Programmer