[imp] Truncated Attachments - aditional information

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Feb 7 13:55:37 PST 2003

Quoting Bruno Negrao <imp-bnegrao at engepel.com.br>:

> Eric,
> I changed my mind and I'll try on redhat 8.0 once again.

Okay, but I can't blame you for trying another system.  But I think
the key might be to start fresh, reinstall/reconfigure everything.

> You said that your installation is runing. Could you tell me the versions of
> the following packages and if they were tar.gz or rpms from redhat:

Everything is RPM.  For most of the time I used all RedHat RPMS. But, due
to performance issues, I've rebuilt/upgraded many of the RPMS myself now.
I can make these RPMS available to you, but with no warranty, if you want
to try any of them.

> - Apache:

Currently using my own RPM, based on apache 2.0.43.  Was using RedHat's
RPMS before that.  Big reason to build my own was to make it a i686 binary
rather than a i386 package...  When I did a "top" command and sorted by
CPU TIME I saw apache was the #1 user of my CPU time.  So to try to reduce
the time spent in apache/mod_ssl/php, I rebuilt it as a i686 package (and
since I was doing that, I upgraded to a newer version).  I was otherwise
happy with RedHat's package, just wanted more performance.

This also implies I'm now using my own mod_ssl RPM, where before I was
using RedHat's.  Same reasons as above.  I do all Horde/IMP via ssl.

> - Php:

Was using RedHat's RPMS. Now use my own RPMS based on PHP 4.3.0.  Main reason
was that RedHat didn't include mcrypt and mhash, and again I could get a
native i686 build rather than a i386 build.  Same reason as above: performance.
I was otherwise happy with RedHat's packages.

> - Horde:

I use Horde/IMP/etc CVS HEAD.  A modified CVS HEAD is my main web portal.
But I also have installed Horde/IMP/etc CVS HEAD (unmodified), CVS RELENG,
and Horde 2.1 (from the tarballs) with IMP 3.1 (from the tarball).  I
recommend you use Horde 2.2 + IMP 3.1 though.

Any of them should work.  I've tried most combinations at some point.
Some require a php config change (like older versions require short_open_tag
to be on, while newer ones don't).  But no big problems.

> - Pear:

The Pear that came with the RPM package (formerly RedHat, now my own) with
the additional modules needed added via "pear install" commands.

> - Imp:

See above (Horde).

> - Redhat 8.0 kernel version:

Currently a stock 2.4.20.  This is due to a problem with RedHat's kernels and
the Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet drivers (bcm and tg3).  Otherwise I would
use the stock RH kernels.  RH 8.0 kernels just won't run on this particular
system (Dell PowerEdge 2650) as the ethernet cards will crash the system.
Dell and RedHat are working on a solution.

> - Imap:

Stock RedHat RPMS -- wu imap 2001a.

> - Sendmail/smtp server:
> (if I miss some other important peace, please add it here)

Stock RedHat RPMS for sendmail.  I don't use postfix.  In Horde/IMP, I
use sendmail from the command line and not via SMTP.

> It would help me a lot.

Where there are updates to the RedHat RPMS, I *probably* applied them,
up until about 2 weeks ago (haven't upgraded in the last two weeks or so).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!