[imp] send fails but message is correctly saved to sent-mail

cheryl.ziegler at utoronto.ca cheryl.ziegler at utoronto.ca
Wed Feb 12 15:31:50 PST 2003

Hi,

Running IMP 3.1 with Apache 1.3.26 under Solaris 8.

Just finished pouring over logs and having a sit down with our
guru programmer.  Can't seem to figure this one out.

We have identified two instances where a message is "sent" and
correctly copied to the sent-mail folder.  I put "sent" in
quotes because somewhere between clicking the Send Message
button and copying the message to sent-mail, the message
disappears.

The logs show compose.php was invoked but no corresponding mail
or router log drops to confirm a successful send.  The user sees
no error after sending.  The message is never received.

The code clearly shows that if there is a problem with a send,
IMP will bail on the copy to sent-mail.  Instead we have a lost
message but a copy in sent-mail with a good looking header:

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:32:23 -0500

We are in watch and see mode ... in the meantime, we've turned
on more verbose logging.

The problem is not consistent - logs for the same user show
successful sends throughout the day.

Any ideas or experience with similar behavior?

Thanks in advance,
Cheryl

--
Cheryl Ziegler