[imp] Windows XP caches login credentials.

Oliver Schulze L. oliver at samera.com.py
Mon Feb 17 13:48:35 PST 2003

Hi all,
sorry about being too late on the subject, but these are my points:

- Horde should force, (yes force) a security policy on its user. This
statement
   refer only to this issue. Keep reading ...
- Autocomplete is interpreted by IE 5+ and Mozilla 1+
- IE has in most cases 95% market share, in worst cases 60%
- IE and Mozilla default behavior is to save *all* user/password
   when visiting Horde. And both browser make it easy to another user
   to login as another user using the save computer. IE shows you a
dropdown
   list of users, Mozilla shows you a pop-up window. You just have to
choose
   which user you want to login as.
- Yahoo Mail and Other sensitive sites(like Banks) have the security as a
   top priority and they use the autocomplete feature. Hotmail does not use
   the autocomplete feature but has an radio button to select if you are
using
   a public computer.
- From all the users that replyied to this topic, more than 50% wants the
   autocomplete option enabled or at least as a configurable option.
- Having the autocomplete feature enabled(or as an option) makes Horde
   more secure out of the box. If you are a plain user, Horde takes care
of the
   security for you. If you are a poweruser, you can make an xhtml
compliant
   page and disable the autocomplete feature.
- Horde still can include this option in IMP 3.2 and make more than 50% of
   its users happy. :-)

I don't want to start another long discusion. But I think this issue is
crucial,
beacuse Horde is meant to be a Public Mail Client(as I see it), but is not
secure enough at the login page.(Maybe the most sensitive page regarding
security)

So, I vote for the autocomplete option to be enabled by default and to
be a configurable
option. If that can not happend, I vote to make it a configurable option.

I posted a 2 line patch for resolving this issue in IMP as an example on
how easy
it is to configure it.

Regards
Oliver