[imp] problem with passwd module in horde

Aide Florent faide at alphacent.com
Thu Feb 20 09:30:51 PST 2003

Hello,

auxprop is not a "client auth" method per see it is a declaration you use in
the config file for the service (imapd.conf or smtpd.conf) to tell the
underlying sasl2 library than you want it to check passwords by this
method...

Your client does NOT use "auxprop" it uses LOGIN, PLAIN, CRAM-MD5 or whatever
with or without SSL or TLS ...
Then the imapd transmits the info to the SASL lib which in turn looks what
method use to verify the password ( it could be auxprop or saslauthd -a pam)

auxprop will tell sasl to use an external plugin named with

auxprop_plugin

by default the value of  auxprop_plugin is null and so all plugins are
queried...

it is better to define a pwcheck_method manually like that:

sasl_pwcheck_method: salsauthd -a pam
which will force sasl to call its authd daemon which in turn will call PAM

PAM in turn will look its conf file for the named service and try to use the
plugins you configured for it.

per example here is an exerpt of my /etc/imapd.conf file for Cyrus Imapd

sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd -a pam

where I tell sasl to use PLAIN mechanism against its authd .....

the values you can put in sasl_pwcheck_methods are:
'auxprop', 'pwcheck', 'saslauthd', 'alwaystrue'

Concerning the method to change a password into an ldap I use Netware 5.1 and
the clients use their Netware client to change it in the NDS so I did not try
to use it sorry.

Hope it helps.

AIDE Florent.

Le Mercredi 19 Février 2003 23:08, Eric Rostetter a écrit :
> Quoting srikarreddy kasarla <srikarreddyk at yahoo.com>:
> >      I am using auxprop authentication method in the
> > cyrus.
>
> Never head of it.  Seems to be a ldap based scheme?  If so, maybe you
> can use, or adapt, the ldap driver for use?
>
> >      I want to change the passwords using the passwd
> > module in horde.I don't find any thing for auxprop in
> > backends.php.
>
> Nothing there.  Won't be unless you write one, or someone else decides
> to write one, or you can tell us enough info about this mysterious auxprop
> method that I/someone can code one or adapt one for it.
>
> >      Anyidea how can i use passwd module with auxprop.
>
> No, as I never heard of it before, and have no idea how it works.
> If you have an understanding of how it works, let me know...
>
> >      thanks in advance.
> >
> > -srikar
>
> --
> Eric Rostetter
> The Department of Physics
> The University of Texas at Austin
>
> Why get even? Get odd!

- --
The magic of our first love is our ignorance that it can ever end.
                -- Benjamin Disraeli