[imp] Can Horde sessions use a different database than horde_prefs?

Jeff Tucker jeff at jltnet.com
Mon Feb 24 17:46:30 PST 2003

--On Monday, February 24, 2003 10:07 PM +0100 Didi Rieder
<adrieder at sbox.tugraz.at> wrote:

> Quoting Jeff Tucker <jeff at jltnet.com>:
>
>> In my system, I replicate the MySQL database from a master to multiple
>> read-only secondaries. This means that I can send read-only queries to
>> the secondaries
>
> How are you doing this? I mean sending read-only queries to the
> secondaries?

Not Horde queries. Those all have to go to the master. But my IMAP servers
use SQL for authentication, for instance, and I send those queries to
secondaries.

> We do the following every hour:
>
> Master:
> FLUSH TABLES WITH READ LOCK;
> dump the database into a file
>
> Slave:
> let the slave catch up
>
> Master:
> flush-logs
> PURGE MASTER LOGS (except the 3 newest)
> UNLOCK TABLES
>
> Didi

Sure, and that's an option. Ideally, though, I'd like to backup manually or
automatically occasionally when I know I have a consistent database and
save all of those backups. For full emergency restoration, I need the
latest backup and all of the binary logs since then. I can't save all of my
binary logs now without doing daily snapshots of the data. With your
scheme, I'd either end up with 24 copies of my db on my disks every 24
hours or I'd have to implement a rotation scheme since you can't let your
backup overwrite your last backup.

Before I started doing sessions in the db, I could just backup the db to a
tarfile every couple weeks and restart the binary logs. Even replaying a
week's worth of db transactions would be ok if it weren't for the session
stuff. If I could move the Horde sessions to their own database and not
just their own table, I'd be happier.

Thanks
Jeff

--