[imp] limit total message size?

Colin Devine devinec at sas.upenn.edu
Tue Mar 4 16:49:59 PST 2003

A late reply mainly to get into the archive...

Eric Rostetter wrote:

> Quoting Colin Devine <devinec at sas.upenn.edu>:
>
> > I can limit the attachment size within php by using upload_max_filesize
> > but this does not prevent users attaching multiple attachments which can
> > easily add up to a large amount.
>
> Correct.  The question is why do you want to limit this?

Because users are attaching multiple mp3 files and going over the limit
of other hosts total message size.  When that happens the message
(generally 20-30M in size) sits in /var/spool/mqueue until it times out
taking up disk space the whole time.

> > Is there a way to limit the total size
> > of a message, including attachments, within imp?
>
> No, at this time, you can't.  You can limit it with your MTA (sendmail,
> postfix, etc) after the upload.  You could also limit it, with various
> problems, if you put user quotas on the upload directory (assuming your
> system supports quotas).

Yes, I have configured this in sendmail with the MaxMessageSize
command.  This sends the users an error email if they try to send a
message over the defined size.  Thanks for the help.

--Colin Devine