[imp] Fwd: Re: [Feedback #2426] discriminatory terms

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Mar 10 08:50:18 PST 2003

----- Weitergeleitete Nachricht von c.green at mailbox.uq.edu.au -----
    Datum: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:50:06 +1000
    Von: Cameron Green <c.green at mailbox.uq.edu.au>
Antwort an: cam at uq.edu.au
 Betreff: Fwd: Re: [Feedback #2426] discriminatory terms
      An: jan at horde.org

Hi Jan,

We have had an enquiry about using the term 'blacklist' in IMP being offensive
to people of colour.  In our country (and many others) the use of the term black
is often used to refer to indigenous people, and one they have come to relate to
.  It makes them uncomfortable when it is used in a denegrating way such as
'blacklist'ing email.  I presume that you did not have anything of the sort in
mind when you chose that term, but that doesn't necessarily change how someone
sees it everytime they log into their email.

I have changed this in our version of IMP to be 'blocklist'.  Very simple change
and if it makes people feel more included in the community then I think worth
the effort.

`find ./ -type f | xargs grep -il blacklist` will turn up a list of everywhere
it is used.

Cheerio,

Cameron Green

>From: ricka at uq.net.au
>To: feedback at my.uq.edu.au
>Subject: discriminatory terms

Name: Warwick A Abrahams

Email: ricka at uq.net.au

Comment: The term 'blacklist' for prohibition of unwanted e-mails is
inappropriate to a university.  The continual use of 'black' to denote unwanted,
oppressive or evil should be discouraged.  Other e-mail sites have more
appropriate terms - why not this university?

--
Cameron Green

cam at uq.edu.au

"Adherence to doctrinal truth confers substantial reward, not only acceptance
within the system of power and a ready path to privilege, but also the
inestimable advantage of freedom from the onerous demands of thought, inquiry
and argument" - Noam Chomsky

Jan.