[imp] IMAP proxy performance

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Mar 10 15:16:21 PST 2003

Quoting Enoch Root <enokhroot at yahoo.com>:

> Hi all;
>
> I'd like to know your experiences with IMAPProxy and
> Perdition.

I use imapproxy, don't use perdition.  Imapproxy works fine.  I hear
perdition is good, but never used it.  There are other imap proxies
also that have good reputations.

> Particularly, I wonder how each scales and
> whether these are just proxies (i.e. they just relay
> every auth. requests on behalf of IMP) or do they
> actually hold persistent connections till a user logs
> off.

imapproxy holds the persistent connection.  How well that scales is
up to your imap server mostly, and your tcp/ip stack secondarily (i.e.
if you can only have 32767 open sockets, then it won't scale past
32767 concurrent users, etc).

> If the latter is the case, do these proxies e.g.
> hold 3000 connectinos to the IMAP server in case there
> are 3000 concurrent users?

Imapproxy does.  No idea for perdition.

--
Eric Rostetter