[imp] Customisation of Imp

Paul Reilly pareilly at tcd.ie
Tue Mar 11 11:06:14 PST 2003

> 1. Is IMP the right solution? (I'm pretty sure it is from conversations I've
> had)

Yes. It's GNU and the development cycle is very active.
It's very feature rich, and easy to customise.
If you have thousands of users performance will depend on
a lot of things like what IMAP software and mailbox format you use:
See http://www.courier-mta.org/mbox-vs-maildir/
PHP can be quite CPU intensive, so if you have lots of users,putting IMP
on a seperate box to the mailserver can help.

> 2. Roughly how much time should I be looking at spending on customisation to
> get it ready for a release?

For total customisation, tailored login screen etc, you are talking a good
few hours work.

Paul