[imp] php segfaulting on some large mildir mailboxes

Duncan Robertson duncan at minihub.org
Tue Mar 18 14:14:59 PST 2003

Hi,

We have been using imp2 and imp3 with excellent results for some time
now. At the moment we have one strange little problem that I have been
unable to solve except by workaround, and was wondering if anyone has
any ideas:

Setup: debian stable with imp3/horde debs from testing built against
stable. qmail, courier imap (first from stable, then built from testing
to see if it would help), etc.
all users seem to be fine except for 1 or 2 with fairly large mailboxes,
opening these mailboxes causes "document contains no data" due to apache
segfaulting. Reading the archives of this lists indicates this could be
php4-imap being built using a buggy c-client-dev. I have tried
rebuilding php against the libc-client2001-dev version 2001adebian-6 in
testing and it doesnt help.. Trying to build the 2003 version from
unstable gets very messy with creeping dependancies very fast (I am
trying to stay within the debian packaging system here).

Workaround.. the current cheesy workaround is using maildir2mbox and
mbox2maildir to convert the problem maildir to and from mbox.. this
seems to clean the headers out so that imp/php/apache doesnt segfault..
however it loses the read/unread flag, etc.. plus is an inconvenience
having to wait for the users to report a problem so that I can run the
sequence of commands to fix it..

any suggestions or comments on this subtle little problem would be
appreciated. note that we have been using imp3 for ages and for most of
our users, most of the time there are no problems whatsoever.

Duncan Robertson                  duncan at minihub.org
Chief Technician                   (+61)412117159
Minihub Communications Inc.    http://www.minihub.org/