[imp] msie 6.0 / winxp slowness (Solved, for me at least)

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 20 13:20:46 PST 2003

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:

> I have this same problem... except I only see it with IE 6 and Win2K.  I use

I've seen the same thing on IE 6.0 + Win2K.

> every so often (maybe 1 in 150 messages) I try to view a message in my INBOX
> and nothing will happen (the browser says "Waiting for
> bigworm.colorado.edu..." and never changes).  Even more interesting, looking

I get this when trying to enter the INBOX.  But only on 2 out of 1000
accounts. I can use the same machine/browser/etc and login  to one account
and it is fine, login to another account and it hangs.

> at the logs, the page has been sent by the web server.  Additionally, if I
> view the same mailbox/message on the same computer with Mozilla I have no
> problems whatsoever.

Yes, all other browsers work fine, only IE 6 has the problem.

> As I mentioned previously, I have only seen this on
> one machine I use so it doesn't appear to be reproducible.

I have it on two machines.  But it works sometimes, not others, as the
mail in the user's account changes.  I have a wild guess that it may
be related to the size of the mailbox -- not that it is big or small,
but the actual size.  Can't prove it though.  (If it would only happen
on my own account, rather than some one elses, I'd solve it...)

> I'm chalking it up to IE behavior rather than anything being broken in
> IMP/Horde/PHP/Apache but other thoughts are welcome.

It is likely IE, but could be elsewhere.  Could be a size issue, could be
even a compression issue?  Very annoying though, what ever it is.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!