[imp] Problem with Date Headers - Indian Time Zone

Parag Godkar paragg at konark.ncst.ernet.in
Fri Mar 21 15:03:07 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cliff Green" <green at UMDNJ.EDU>
To: "Parag Godkar" <paragg at konark.ncst.ernet.in>
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2003 8:45 PM
Subject: Re: [imp] Problem with Date Headers - Indian Time Zone

> Quoting Parag Godkar <paragg at konark.ncst.ernet.in>:
> [munch]
> > And IMP is working fine, except that we are having problems
> > while composing mail -
> >
> > 1. Using original compose.php with " date('r') " function, the mail is
> >     sent but the compose window does not close.
> >
> > 2. If I change every occurance of " date('r') " with
> >     " strftime('%a, %e %b %Y %T %Z') " in compose.php,
> >     then the mail is sent, the compose window also closes but the
> >     date header is not displayed in the sent mail or the received mail
> >     view on the main page.
>
> I know this sounds strange and unnecessary, but what happens when you
change the
> occurances of "date('r')" in compose.php with "date('r', time())"?  I've
had a
> similar problem on Solaris, which seemed to be fixed by using strftime
instead
> of date('r'), but the problem recurred;  it seems to be "fixed" now, using
the
> explicit time() call in date().

Well I tried with "date('r')" and with "date('r', time())" but I have the
same problem -
      The mail is sent but the compose window does not close.

As I said if I change every occurance of " date('r') " with
" strftime('%a, %e %b %Y %T %Z') " in compose.php,
then the mail is sent, the compose window also closes but the
date header is not displayed in the sent mail or the received mail
view on the main page.

With this, I observed that this was printing the time zone as IST in the
mail
file /var/mail/username. And the functions in mailbox.php and message.php
were not able to interpret this and no date was displayed.
If I changed the IST in the mail file /var/mail/username to +0530 then
functions in mailbox.php and message.php were able to interpret this
and date was properly displayed.

So I changed every occurance of " date('r') " with
" strftime('%a, %e %b %Y %T +0530') " in compose.php, and
now I have no problems. The time zone stamp in /var/mail/username
is +0530 and IMP is able to display it.

However I don't know if this is a proper way, but it works.

Thanks anyway Mr. Cliff Green.

Regards,
Parag Godkar.