[imp] REPOST: User Quotas - (im)possible scenario?

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Sun Mar 23 20:42:22 PST 2003

http://lists.horde.org/archives/imp/Week-of-Mon-20030317/031436.html

> >>     I have the following setup right now:
> >>     [ IMP server ] ---(imap connection) ---> [ user server
>
> >What is a "user server" and where is Horde/IMP in this picture?
> >
>     You're making it hard on yourself, honestly.  Horde/IMP is on that
> IMP server.  User server is exactly what it implies, user accounts are
> on there.

Okay, I misread "IMP" as "IMAP".  Sorry.  But if user server is what
the name implies then where is the imap server?  On IMP server or on
user server?

> >And what imap client?  The default wu-imapd of RH?
> >
>     Yes - or what's installed from their rpm, imap-2001a.

It doesn't support quota reporting.  So you won't be able to use quotas
unless you can instead read them on the IMP server somehow.

> >Where are the quotas enabled, the user's mail and home directories stored?
> >
>     User server.

In this case, you can't have quotas unless you:

1) Switch imap servers
2) Export the user's disks to the IMP server (e.g. via NFS)
3) Create some way to remotely grab the quota
4) Use some other way like some have discussed on the mailing list in the past.

The last option refers to various creative ways people have solved such
problems, such as cron jobs that fetch the quotas and save them to a file
for IMP to parse, etc.

> >What version of Horde and IMP are you running?
> >
>     Horde 2.1, IMP 3.1

Probably not relevent given your setup, unless you can change the setup
(e.g. nfs mount the user's disk onto the IMP sever, etc).  But I didn't
know that when I asked the question.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics