[imp] Re: horde/lib/MIME/Headers.php

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Mon Mar 24 12:41:22 PST 2003

Quoting Frode Tviberg <frode.netcom at tviberg.com>:

| I found out that you put a TAB in the Received header.
| A qmail-scanner (virus-scanner) will stop this - because the
| TAB is an illegal MIME-character in the header.

Then virus-scanner is horribly broken.  TABS are a completely legitimate
character inside of Mail headers.  Additionally, Received headers are _not_
controlled by MIME rules (RFC 2045 et. seq.) anyway - they are controlled by
the basic Mail formatting rules (RFC 2822).

Viewing both
   RFC 2822 [3.2.3] Folding White Space and Comments
   RFC 2822 [3.6.7] Trace fields
show that white space, other than the CRLF combination, are perfectly
legitimate for Received headers.  Check any mail message - essentially all
headers are wrapped using a CRTAB combination.  Your own Postfix setup does
it, for example:

	by bigworm.colorado.edu (Postfix) with SMTP id 663861A9
	for <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>; Sun, 23 Mar 2003 02:25:12 -0700 (MST)

michael