[imp] fetchmail and CRAM-MD5

amith at xalan.com amith at xalan.com
Wed Mar 26 17:49:16 PST 2003

My machine recently crashed and I had to reinstall *everything*.  But i'm back
and I have everything installed.  Anyway, I'm trying to retrieve the mail that
collected on the interim server using the "Accounts" screen.  When I enter the
information I get "Server connection failed".  I ran tethereal and I see the
following conversation:

POP Request: CAPA
POP Response: +OK Capability list follows
POP Request: AUTH LOGIN
POP Continuation
POP Request: <encrypted data>
POP Continuation
POP Request: AUTH CRAM-MD5
POP Response: -ERR Invalid userid/password
POP Request: <encrypted data>
POP Response: -ERR illegal command
POP Request: AUTH CRAM-MD5
POP Continuation
POP Request: QUIT

When I telnet to the interim server and type the command "CAPA" I get the following
+OK Capability list follows
TOP
USER
SASL LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5
RESP-CODES
LOGIN-DELAY 120
PIPELINING
EXPIRE 30 USER
UIDL
IMPLEMENTATION Ipswitch_IMail_5.0

Obviously the CRAM-MD5 authentication is failing.  For what reason I don't know.
 Is there any way to force PLAIN?

Thanks
Amith