[imp] Chinese folder name display problem

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Mar 28 02:01:51 PST 2003

Quoting David Chang <david at thbuo.gov.tw>:

> 引用 Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>:
>
> > So why don't you enable the utf support? This is a great step forward
> > especially for all users with "non-standard" charsets. Why don't you
> use
> > this feature?
> >
> > The iconv extension can't handle utf7-imap charsets and the mbstring
> > extension can't handle Big5 and Cyrillic charsets, so we can't convert
> > between them. UTF-8 if working perfectly.
> >
> > Jan.
> >

> Enable UTF-8 will have more problems (compare with disable UTF-8)such as
> :
> 1.Date field display problem in mailbox
>   see http://210.241.49.67/~txg16/tmp/wrong_mailbox.jpg

Fixed in CVS.

> 2.Calendar's name,Notepad's name & Task Lists's name did not display
> correctly
>   see http://210.241.49.67/~txg16/tmp/wrong_name.jpg

Works fine here. At least if you create the the calendars with utf support
enabled. See my attached screenshot.

> 3.Some of mail's subject or From did not display correctly
>   see http://210.241.49.67/~txg16/tmp/wrong_subject.jpg
>   and eml file http://210.241.49.67/~txg16/tmp/wrong_subject.eml
>
> 4.Some of mail's text did not display correctly
>  see http://210.241.49.67/~txg16/tmp/wrong_text.jpg
>   and eml file http://210.241.49.67/~txg16/tmp/wrong_text.eml

Both messages are invalid encoded. They have no charset information in the
header resp. in the body. That's why they are displayed "as is", the only
valid option for every mail client.

> 5.In gollem(ftp & mysql backend),file name did not look right,if it's
> original
> file name is Chinese format.
>   see http://210.241.49.67/~txg16/tmp/wrong_gollem.jpg

I have no idea how Big5 encoded filenames are stored on an FTP server so I
can't help out here, but I'll take a closer look at the sql driver.

Jan.