[imp] forcing certain settings to look in database

Vince LaMonica vjl at uci.edu
Fri Mar 28 14:19:46 PST 2003

Hi all,

I'm running Horde 2.0/IMP 3.1 [am in the process of upgrading as I type
this], and I have an interesting problem. I have several [well, over 10]
installs of IMP so that I can maintain different settings for different
virtual domains [eg: webmail.vdomain.edu, webmail.vdomain2.edu, etc].

One of the virtual domains I am running [via apache/postfix/IMAP4rev1
2001.315] I want to force the users to use a certain From: and full name.
Since this is a virtual domain, their real [as /etc/passwd sees it] name
and account is: vdinfo. With postfix's virtual domains in place, I have
e.mail set so that info at vdomain.edu really goes to vdinfo at mydomain.edu.

I do not want to advertise the "vdinfo at mydomain.edu" address - all e.mail
sent via IMP should appear to come from info at vdomain.edu. This works very
well if I allow the user to edit their identity. It stores the full name
and From: address in the mysql database just fine.

However, when I alter prefs.php so that it locks those two fields:

$_prefs['fullname'] = array(
    'value' => '',
    'locked' => true,
    'shared' => true,
    'type' => 'implicit'
);

$_prefs['from_addr'] = array(
    'value' => '',
    'locked' => true,
    'shared' => true,
    'type' => 'implicit'
);

The custom fullname and From: headers on outgoing e.mail are not honored.
The data is still present in the database, but apparently IMP is not
looking in the database when the above locked attributes are marked as
"true".

What I'd like to do is login as a user, make the needed changes to the
fullname/from: header [with 'locked' being set to false], logout, and then
change prefs.php to mark 'locked' as true.

Is this possible? Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

/vjl/

--
Vince LaMonica               UC Irvine,  School  of  Social Ecology
 W3 Developer       <*>      116 Social Ecology I, Irvine, CA 92697

  Open Source -  'Every now and then, you get what you don't pay for'