[imp] Latest IE Update

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 9 23:03:38 PDT 2003

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:

> Should we turn compression off for all IE6 browsers?

I have no choice.  If it isn't working for any of my users, and can be
traced to IE 6 only, and the fix is to disable compression, then that is
what I need to do.

> I would hesitate to do
> this (become this would eliminate compression for a large population of
> users) - but I don't see much other choice.

At this time I have no other choice.

> Or do these buggy IEs output a
> particular browser string that we can identify and isolate?

Only thing I know is it *seems* to only happen on Windows 2000 and Windows
XP machines.  I've not seen it on Windows 9x/ME machines at all.  But I've
not seen any browser string that can be used other than IE 6.x on
Win2K/XP.

> (As I've said
> in the past, I have seen this on my computer at work but not at home.  I'll
> take a look at the browser output the next time I'm at work).

And OS version too...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics