[imp] utf problem

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Apr 18 19:16:02 PDT 2003

Zitat von David Chang <david at thbuo.gov.tw>:

> ?? Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>:
>
> > Quoting David Chang <david at thbuo.gov.tw>:
> >
> > > Hi all:
> > >
> > > ENV: http://210.241.49.68/horde.beta/test.php
> > >
> > > Problem:
> > > Since i change $nls['conf']['enable_utf'] to true,I got a problem in
> > > mail display--Mail's subject,FROM,context did not display correctly
> with
> > > Chinese
> > > (BIG5).
> > >
> > > According to RFC2047,if SUBJECT,FROM headers with multibyte did not
> > > encode ,then cause such proble.As i know,many user send their mail
> via
> > > Yahoo
> > > webmail.But most Asian-Yahoo did not handle it(encode these headers)
> .So
> > > wonder,is it possible to rewrite such multi-chars header automaticly
> > > suitable RFC2047 standard ?
> >
> > This is on my todo list. I want to create a preference where users can
> > specify a default charset that is used to display messages if no
> charset
> > was specified in the message or the subject.
> That's Great !! I am waiting.
>

> > > Another problem is context problem in mail.Many mail look correct if
> > > disable
> > > utf in nls.php,but once i enable it IMP seems unable to code it.So
> ,is it
> > > possible add a option in prefs just like  "default charset for view
> mail"
> > > ?
> >
> > I lost you here.
> Another problem is context problem in mail.Many mail look correct if i
> disable
> utf in nls.php,but once i enable it IMP seems unable to code it.So ,is it
> possible add a option in prefs just like  "default charset for view mail"
> ? or

This is exactly the same as above.

> display link "This message was written in a character set other than your
> own.
> If it is not displayed correctly, try opening it in a new window" in
> message
> viewing?

The problem is we only convert _if_ the message is in another charset than
the current. And converting to UTF-8 is _never_ a problem unless the
message's original charset isn't specified at all or uncorrectly. In this
case this link just wouldn't work either.

But you still didn't tell us what exactly the problem is with such incorrect
converted messages.

Jan.