[imp] IMP 3.2.1 very slow

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Thu Apr 24 13:09:08 PDT 2003

Quoting lst_hoe at kwsoft.de:

| Not really. I have tried Horde 2.2.3 with IMP 3.2.1 today. It is approx
| two times slower then horde 2.1 with IMP 3.1 on the same machine with same
| backend IMAP/MySQL.
|
| Any hints where to tune??
| Is "mcrypt" mandatory for this release??

If you are running Horde/IMP at all, my #1 rule has always been INSTALL
MCRYPT.  I used to use PHP based Ciphers/Encryption before I moved to
mcrypt - the increase in speed was staggering.

Additionally, it seems that our current PHP encryption code is not quite as
fast as the old PEAR code.  But 1) that PEAR package is no longer available
and 2) (I think this is right - someone correct me if I am wrong) the
blowfish algorithim (which Horde 2.2.x uses) is more secure than HCEMD5
(which was the old PEAR package).

But, if you are running your own server, and before you start complaining
that "so and so a webclient program is 'better' or 'faster'" (what does
'better' or 'faster' mean in the first place?) compile PHP with mcrypt and
see how the performance is.

michael