[imp] IMP 3.2.1 very slow

lst_hoe at kwsoft.de lst_hoe at kwsoft.de
Thu Apr 24 22:41:23 PDT 2003

Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:

> Quoting lst_hoe at kwsoft.de:
>
> | Not really. I have tried Horde 2.2.3 with IMP 3.2.1 today. It is approx
> | two times slower then horde 2.1 with IMP 3.1 on the same machine with same
> | backend IMAP/MySQL.
> |
> | Any hints where to tune??
> | Is "mcrypt" mandatory for this release??
>
> If you are running Horde/IMP at all, my #1 rule has always been INSTALL
> MCRYPT.  I used to use PHP based Ciphers/Encryption before I moved to
> mcrypt - the increase in speed was staggering.

That´s why i asked..

> Additionally, it seems that our current PHP encryption code is not quite as
> fast as the old PEAR code.  But 1) that PEAR package is no longer available
> and 2) (I think this is right - someone correct me if I am wrong) the
> blowfish algorithim (which Horde 2.2.x uses) is more secure than HCEMD5
> (which was the old PEAR package).

At what stage encryption is used?
We have a pure HTTPS Webserver for IMP/horde and an unecrypted (notls)
connection to localhost IMAP-Server. Therefor i should not see that much change
in speed or is this the wrong track?

> But, if you are running your own server, and before you start complaining
> that "so and so a webclient program is 'better' or 'faster'" (what does
> 'better' or 'faster' mean in the first place?) compile PHP with mcrypt and
> see how the performance is.

Don´t beat me for statements others have done. I only stated that Horde 2.1 /
IMP 3.1 is much faster on my system then Horde 2.2.3 / IMP 3.2.1 and asked if i
can do something about.

Regards

Andreas