[imp] IMP 3.2.1 very slow

Andreas Danzer ad at ixx.com
Thu Apr 24 22:29:06 PDT 2003

> This has nothing to do with 'mcrypt' or the changes made in Horde.  Instead,
> it sounds like you have large mail folders.  If using either mbox format of
> maildir format, past a certain size of mailbox (depending on OS, caching,
> file system, software, speed of hardware, etc.) they all begin to take
> performance hits on the _mail server_ side, not Horde/IMP.  For proof of
> this, try logging directly into your IMAP server (e.g. 'telnet localhost
> imap').  Go to a directory with a lot of messages (my trash directory has
> 4000+ messages in maildir format on a reiserfs file system). Then do an
> IMAP search query for unread messages.

Actually it doesn't just take ages to display the messages - IMP isn't
able to diplay anything and it's even not possible to login at all
(timeouts are set to 1/2 hour). This IS an imp/horde problem as we're
able to connect to that mailbox with other frontends. Speed of hardware
is hardly an issue as them machines are 2,4GHz P4s with plenty of RAM
and a fast disk-array.

I still think that Horde/IMP is a great piece of software, but it
looks like that there are some configuration where it's not working
well...

Best regards
Andreas Danzer