[imp] IMP 3.2.1 very slow

z33k666 at icqmail.com z33k666 at icqmail.com
Thu Apr 24 16:12:09 PDT 2003

Quoting Andreas Danzer <ad at ixx.com>:

> > This has nothing to do with 'mcrypt' or the changes made in Horde.
> Instead,
> > it sounds like you have large mail folders.  If using either mbox format
> of
> > maildir format, past a certain size of mailbox (depending on OS, caching,
> > file system, software, speed of hardware, etc.) they all begin to take
> > performance hits on the _mail server_ side, not Horde/IMP.  For proof of
> > this, try logging directly into your IMAP server (e.g. 'telnet localhost
> > imap').  Go to a directory with a lot of messages (my trash directory has
> > 4000+ messages in maildir format on a reiserfs file system). Then do an
> > IMAP search query for unread messages.
>
> Actually it doesn't just take ages to display the messages - IMP isn't
> able to diplay anything and it's even not possible to login at all
> (timeouts are set to 1/2 hour). This IS an imp/horde problem as we're
> able to connect to that mailbox with other frontends. Speed of hardware
> is hardly an issue as them machines are 2,4GHz P4s with plenty of RAM
> and a fast disk-array.
>
> I still think that Horde/IMP is a great piece of software, but it
> looks like that there are some configuration where it's not working
> well...
>
> Best regards
> Andreas Danzer

I have had severe speed problems as well.  I read a thread (somewhere) that PHP
4.3.x may have something to do with it.  I downgraded to PHP 4.2.3 and the speed
problems went away.

I changed everything, c-client, apache, mcrypt, no mcrypt, IMAP servers, etc...
before I found the thread mentioned above.  I tried logging in with a non-PHP
client and there were no speed issues.

With PHP 4.3.1, while watching the IMAP logs, it would take 30+ seconds for the
server to actually process the login after a button was pressed (the user is
logged in and out after *any* IMAP request).   After switching to PHP 4.2.3, the
login process took less than 2 seconds.

I do not know why this happens.  I cannot find a lot of info on this problem.
All I know is, it worked for me on both my production and development servers.

    * Horde: 2.2.1 and Horde: 3.0-cvs
    * IMP: 3.2.1 and IMP: 4.0-cvs
    * Turba: 1.2 and Turba: 2.0-cvs
    * PHP Version: 4.2.3