[imp] Return-Path

Edward Bynum ebynum at CLEMSON.EDU
Mon Apr 28 17:19:18 PDT 2003

>> Email sent from my server using IMP has the return path set as:
>> anonymous at IP.ADD.RE.SS ...
>> Anybody have any idea why, or what I would do to change it?

>Not sure, but could it be you need to add your web server account to
>the list of trusted users for your mail software?

Well, after what seems to me to be extensive testing (it probably isn't
really), I think I have narrowed the location of the problem down
somewhat.

If I am not mistaken, then the result of these lines:
    // If sendmail fails or is not executable, try the native mail()
function.
    if ($result == 0) {

is that when $result is equivalent to zero, then php's mail() function
gets used instead of using sendmail.  I am certain that $result is set
to 0, for whatever that is worth.  The lack of envelopes keeps
Return-Path from being set using php's mail() function (there might be
some way to do this?), so I get anonymous at IP.ADD.RE.SS instead of the
From: address in that field.  If this is the case, my problem is almost
solved (I think).  If I run the sendmail command (located at
/usr/sbin/sendmail) (which is a symlink to qmail's fake version of
sendmail that formats a sendmail command to qmail's proper formatting)
with the syntax given in horde.lib, the email goes through just fine
(with the -fbox at host.domain.com option).  Thus, the only problem appears
to be that the path_to_sendmail isn't working properly ... where does
this value come from?

Thanks,
Edward