[imp] Hi guys - DESPERATE plea for help here...

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Thu May 1 13:52:20 PDT 2003

Quoting Shawn Robinson <Shawn.Robinson at telus.com>:

| Are you hitting your maximum_connections on your mysql?
|
| You can bump that value up in your my.cnf file.
|

| At 10:43 AM 2003/05/01 +0100, Nigel Cass wrote:
| >Upgraded to the latest RELENG of horde, imp and turba today. Also
| started
| >using the custom session handler now provided in the RELENG version.
| >
| >Intermittently (but often enough to make me look stupid :( ) we are
| >experiencing DB errors - resulting in horde.log errors like the
| below....
| >
| >May 01 08:45:40 HORDE [emergency] [imp] DB Error: connect failed:
| >[nativecode=Link to server lost, unable to reconnect] ** Array [on line
| 108
| >of "/usr/local/apache/htdocs/horde/lib/Prefs/sql.php"]
| >
| >I'm guessing it's because I've set connection timeout to be 10 seconds
| in
| >mysql - Which I believe I set because I was under the impression that
| this
| >was good practice as you can never guarantee that the same apache daemon
| >will perform every operation that a user does anyway.
| >
| >Please help as I'm stuck - it FEELS like a session problem yet I'm
| seeing
| >the problem reported as Prefs/sql.php.
| >
| >Interesting to note is that the preferences are stored on a remote
| database
| >and the sessions are stored on a local database..

This is a problem with your session database.  If using a session database,
and you open a page that opens many connections to Apache (e.g. a message
in IMP that has a bunch of embedded images), a separate connection to the
server is opened for each embedded image.  If your DB settings aren't
correct, the quick load on your database server causes problem with PHP.
It looks like PHP, if it senses any disparities with session handling at
all, will close the session immediately (it could be that one of the pages
trying to access the session information doesn't connect quick enough so it
just kills the session).

michael