[imp] IMP: php session files left behind

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Thu May 1 18:15:40 PDT 2003

Quoting Robert Kubarych <rkubarych at bergen.edu>:

| In horde/config/horde.php we have $conf['sessionhandler']['type'] =
| 'none';
|
| In our /tmp directory we are seeing that session files are not cleaned
| up.  These files have an owner and group of nobody, and are set with rw
| permissions for the owner, and no other permissions.
|
| Is there an error in my configuration somewhere that is causing these
| files to be left behind?  If I have to schedule a cron job to clean
| these files up won't I run the risk of stomping on a live session?

If I remember correctly, older versions of PHP did not do a good job of
garbage collection on old session files.  The safest way to delete these
files is to run a cron job that deletes session files older than the
allowable session timeout.  I personally use to delete files older than 2
or 3 days or so and never ran into any problems.

michael