[imp] SMTP headers with <@>, recipients with special characters, bounce to postmaster

Matthew Hilty mhilty at artic.edu
Thu May 1 20:40:40 PDT 2003

Dear IMP Listers,
     I've been noticing some odd behavior when sending messages to
addresses that end in a period.  The problem is that the message
bounces to postmaster, intended recipient never gets the message, and
the sender is not notified of the error. The SMTP header lacks the
correct "for: user at domain" if the address ends wiith a period, and
instead, the message is sent to <@> which is eventually received by
the postmaster.  I've seen one thread (RFC822/PEAR Problem?) convering
the problem, but even after setting postfix to
reject_non_fqdn_recipient (as suggested in the thread) the problem
persists.

Users are frequently sending to recipients that end with a period, and
it would be preferbale to find a solution that doesn't propoganda to
instruct uesrs to exclude or remove a trailing period from new
messages and replies. I have tried following the IMP list thread and
corresponding PEAR bug report and it seems to have subsided last
April, so I'm curious about the official resolution.  I am grateful in
advance for any insights about this problem.

Thanks,

Matthew

version info: (same scenario on IMP 3.1 running on redHat 7.1 and 7.3,
php versions differ)

for RH 7.3. up2date
(PHP, Horde, IMP)

php-imap-4.2.2-0horde3
imp-3.2.1-1
openldap-2.0.27-2.7.3
openldap-clients-2.0.27-2.7.3
openldap-devel-2.0.27-2.7.3
php-4.2.2-0horde3
php-manual-4.2.2-0horde3
php-devel-4.2.2-0horde3
php-mysql-4.2.2-0horde3
horde-2.2.3-1
php-ldap-4.2.2-0horde3
turba-1.2-1

SMTP server:

postfix-20010228

PEAR: (update using http://pear.php.net/go-pear
Installed packages:
===================
+----------------+---------+--------+
| Package        | Version | State  |
| Archive_Tar    | 1.0     | stable |
| Auth_SASL      | 1.0.0   | stable |
| Console_Getopt | 1.0     | stable |
| DB             | 1.4b1   | beta   |
| Date           | 1.3     | stable |
| File           | 1.0.2   | stable |
| HTML_Common    | 1.0     | stable |
| Log            | 1.5.3   | stable |
| Mail           | 1.0.2   | stable |
| Mail_Mime      | 1.2.1   | stable |
| Net_SMTP       | 1.2.1   | stable |
| Net_Sieve      | 0.8.1   | stable |
| Net_Socket     | 1.0.1   | stable |
| PEAR           | 1.0.1   | stable |
| PHPUnit        | 0.6     | stable |
| XML_Parser     | 1.0.1   | stable |
| XML_RPC        | 1.0.4   | stable |

/horde/test.php suggests things are fine and recent enough, and if
needed, I can provide /horde/config/* and /imp/config* as needed.
Every other SMTP-related feature seems to be working fine, though.

Thanks again!