[imp] Hi guys - DESPERATE plea for help here...

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Fri May 2 12:10:43 PDT 2003

Quoting Nigel Cass <N.Cass at Hull.ac.uk>:

| > This is a problem with your session database.  If using a session
| database,
| > and you open a page that opens many connections to Apache (e.g. a
| message
| > in IMP that has a bunch of embedded images), a separate connection to
| the
| > server is opened for each embedded image.  If your DB settings aren't
| > correct, the quick load on your database server causes problem with
| PHP.
| > It looks like PHP, if it senses any disparities with session handling
| at
| > all, will close the session immediately (it could be that one of the
| pages
| > trying to access the session information doesn't connect quick enough
| so
| > it
| > just kills the session).
|
| What are the recommendations under these conditions then?

I personally have no clue. :(  I know people have made this work.  And I
don't have the greatest hardware, so maybe that's my problem.  But I had
this exact same problem which appeared when I used a DB for sessions, and
went away once I went back to file-based sessions.

| Would you suggest using file based sessions on the server that needs to
| access preferences remotely ? And stick with database based sessions on
| the server that is on the same machine as the prefs database.

My machine had the prefs/session on the same server (MySQL).  And there is
little/no load on my server.  Like I said previously, I only had problems
when I would access a page that would call many different horde/imp pages
at once (like 10/20 embedded images).  Each page request obviously requires
a new connection to the prefs server, or at least the persistent DB
connection (since it is a separate instantiation), so this quick load is
likely the cause of my problem.  I didn't debug this much since I really
didn't need DB session storage - I was simply playing around with it.

michael