[imp] Performance tip on RH 8 / PHP 4.2.2

James Murchison james at un.net.au
Wed May 21 17:31:20 PDT 2003

Just thought I would share something with the community, since this is
what it's all about.
I am using the latest snap shots (21/05/03)
Horde;IMP;Kronolith...etc + PHP 4.2.2
I was poking around in the php.ini file searching for a memory problem
when I stumbled across the following VAR.

zlib.output_compression = Off

I thought why not... changed it to On restarted Apache and wow! what a
difference. at least twice the speed when changing between screens (IMP
--> Turba). The only hitch is you can't use output buffering. Worked for
me....

J.