[imp] Administered identities - once more!

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu May 22 22:11:38 PDT 2003

Quoting fabricio bianco abreu <fabricio at tc.df.gov.br>:

> Let me make myself clear:

Always good ;)

> 1. A regular user should have only one identity, and should not be able to
> change "from address", "full name" and "respond to".

Well, that part is easy to do.  Just set the "default_identity" pref
to locked status, and then do the same (lock) the from_addr, fullname,
and replyto_addr.  That should stop anyone from having multiple identities
or changing their address/name.

> 2. The horde administrator should be able to give some (but not all) users a
> second identity (which would represent a department in my organization).

This is not currently available, as Chuck has stated.  You would only be
able to do this from outside Horde.  Depending on your version of horde/imp,
it may or may not work as you desire after you lock the preferences (we've
changed how this works a few times, and I'm not sure how these particular
preferences work, so I'm not going to predict whether it would work or
not).

> These
> users should be able to send mail identified as themselves or representing
> the
> department. These users should not able to change the second (departamental)
> identity. (We could think of it as the user impersonating the department)

They would not be able to change any identity (first or second) in this setup.

> How could it be accomplished?

You would need to, as a start, write (or wait for) a preference admin
interface, as Chuck previously replied.