[imp] IMP, Kronolith and vCal/iCal

Diego Rivera lrivera at racsa.co.cr
Fri May 23 22:32:30 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 22:35, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> Quoting Diego Rivera <lrivera at racsa.co.cr>:
>
> > I remember a while back there was a thread here re: allowing IMP to
> > integrate with kronolith (if present, obviously) for automagic handling
> > of vCal/ical (mime = text/calendar) attachments so that they'd be added
> > to the calendar.
> >
> > Did anything come of this?  If so, what's the status?
>
> It is relatively functional in IMP/Kronolith HEAD.

Thanks - as always, your answer's prompt and to the point!

Also, I forgot to ask (but I assume a similar state of affairs) about
IMP-Turba integration for vCards.

Here's where all of this fits in: I'm collaborating with some guys and
we're interested in achieving "tight" (however you define that :) )
integration between IMP/Turba/Kronolith/Nag/Mnemo and the Kolab server.

I'm currently exploring the Kronolith side of things and I'm going to
develop a driver for this.  The driver must access the vCards stored in
a particular folder in the user's IMAP account (same goes for tasks,
notes and addresses, but others are on this).  Luckily for me, Kronolith
already handles vCards, so all I have to do is retrieve them for
display!

So as I see it, these are my goals (for Kolab):

1) Use the exact same connection parameters defined for IMP e-mail from
within Kronolith to open its own imap connection (or reuse an existing
one) to get/put the vCal stuff into the private calendar.  Is using
IMP's connection info (or open connections) feasible?

2) Use WebDAV or WebDAV/S (SSL) to publish the calendar's information as
an iCal file (does PEAR or Horde have WebDAV?  does PHP?).  A possible
alternative to WebDAV is FTP which I KNOW is supported (at least at the
php level).

3) Achieve Turba integration with Kronolith such that I may examine a
particular contact's published calendar info (if the relevant URL is
provided as part of the vCard or something to that effect), and thus use
their free/busy info when scheduling meetings.

4) Extend the "new calendar event" page so that there's an "invite
others" button.  This would allow a user to choose the contacts to send
the invitation to from Turba (or manually by typing e-mail addx's) and
send that vCal invitation out to said contacts, later receiving the
corresponding vCal responses.  This, I'd need to extend IMP's api.php to
support something like "IMP::sendEmail(identity, recipients, subject,
data)".  Possibly also allowing autocompletion in similar fashion to
IMP.

Similar cross-app integration should also pop up as the others working
on Nag/Mnemo come up with their own functionality definitions.

So I guess my final question would be:

Could you give me a quick rundown of which of these cross-app
integrations you're aware of, their status (that you know of), etc?

> -chuck
>
> --
> Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
> The alligators were there, too, in a bathtub inside the house.

* Diego Rivera                                            *
* "The Disease: Windows, the cure: Linux"                 *
* E-mail: lrivera<AT>racsa<DOT>co<DOT>cr                  *
* Replace: <AT>='@', <DOT>='.'                            *
* GPG: BE59 5469 C696 C80D FF5C  5926 0B36 F8FF DA98 62AD *
* GPG Public Key avaliable at: http://pgp.mit.edu         *