[imp] attachments > 9 MB need memory_limit = 200M ??!

Kevin M. Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Thu May 29 10:46:56 PDT 2003

I had similar issues (see
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=imp&m=104221588724492&w=2) and as I recall, the
issue is that the Net_SMTP PEAR module ends up using a lot of resources when
dealing with a lot of strings (i.e. and attachment).

Look at bug # 1162 (as well as #1206, which is the exact same thing).  Your only
recourses are:

1) Rewrite the Net_SMTP to be more resource effecient or,
2) Boost your PHP memory_limit to something (IMHO) outrageous, like 400Mb of
memory.

Unfortunately, I don't have the expertise to do 1) and option 2) is a denial of
service waiting to happen and genuinely bad practice.  I recall some discussion
(on the list or via bug postings) about not using email for large attachments
but (once again, IMHO), a 10Mb attachment isn't all that large, plus there are
other non-technical (i.e. political) pressures to let such large attachments go
through.

Actually, now that I think about it, you could probably also use the sendmail
binary directly, instead of using SMTP as your ['mailer']['type'], which
provides a third option, to the two above.

Kevin

--
Kevin M. Myer
Systems Administrator