[imp] Missing folders in IMP -- *not* the problem from the FAQs

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 10 06:34:51 PDT 2003

Quoting Diego Rivera <lrivera at racsa.co.cr>:

> I've often wondered about this, and the distinction is a bit fuzzy for
> me

For lots of folks.  It depends on a lot on your imap software.

> I know they have to do with where e-mail is stored in the MDA, but
> exactly how and what their influence is is what I'm fuzzy about.

It is more how your imap server stores/references folders.

> Can someone clarify the difference between the "folders" and "namespace"
> parameters?

Usually you use folders if your imap server stores the files in a folder
or directory that you must specify (wu-imap is this way).  You use
namespace if the imap server prepends mailboxes with a string (e.g.
the folder "test" is stored as INBOX.test, or the namespace is "INBOX.").
Some mail software might use both.

> I.e.: examples of a case when one is set, the other is set and both are
> set would be very illustrative.

Usually wu-imap wants folder set, and doesn't set a namespace.  For
example, a directory would be called "mail/" so folder would be set
to "mail/".  The folder "test" would be called "test" in that folder,
and the imap software returns it as "test", so no name space is needed.

Some others might also store the files in "mail/" but name the folder
test as "INBOX.test" and return "INBOX.test" as the name for the test
folder.  So, you would set folder to "mail/" and namespace to "INBOX."
so that the folder "test" displays as "test" rather than "INBOX.test"
when the user sees it.

Others might store their files without need to specify the folder location,
so folders would be blank.  But if they still name them, and return the
names, as "INBOX.test" instead of "test" then you would set the name
space again to "INBOX" so it displays to the user simply as "test".

Others might not need you to specify a folder, nor prepend a prefix, so
you could leave both blank.

> Of course I'll still be fuzzy after the explanation since I badly need a
> haircut   :)

I doubt my explaination helped much.  The key point is it really depends
on your imap server.  If it needs to be told where the folders are
(folders setting) and if it the folder name with a prefix prepended that
you don't want displayed (namespace setting).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!