[imp] Downloading messages and folders into my PC

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Jun 13 15:12:13 PDT 2003

Quoting Jeremy Oddo <horde at apixels.net>:

> >> Actually, IMAP doesn't download mail.

It can, and will if you tell it do.  In this case, she needs imap since
she wants to download folders, not just her inbox.

> >> IMAP allows you to have complex
> >> folder setups stored on a remote server.

True, but it allows much more than just that.  Besides, that is just the
IMAP protocol, not the imap client.  The client can do stuff "beyond" the
protocol's limits.

> >> If you want to download your
> >> mail, you'll need to POP it.

She can't pop it in this case as she wants folders other than her inbox.

> > That's not true.  You wouldn't be able to see the mail if it wasn't
> > downloaded at least to memory :-).  Any imap client that runs on a PC
> > can copy messages and whole mail folders to local disk.  Usually drag
> > and drop.

I don't know about "any imap client" but at least some, probably most.

> >From "The IMAP Connection" (http://www.imap.org/about/whatisIMAP.html)

That is an oversimplification of what IMAP is and can be used for.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!