[imp] Horde/Oracle question

Liam Hoekenga liamr at umich.edu
Tue Jun 17 13:15:16 PDT 2003

> No, I just wanted to know what luck people have had with it
> any issues... problems....etc.
> I wanted to move from mysql to Oracle with all of our db's.

You're going to run into Oracle's lack of datatype that's equivalent to
MySQL's TEXT column.   Unless you use a LOB of some sort, PHP's oracle
client can only work with strings under 4000 characters in length, and
while you can store and retrieve data into a LOB using normal SELECT and
INSERT statements, it doesn't work the same way as SELECT and INSERT would
on a MySQL TEXT column.

The places in IMP I think that you're most likely to run into this are
"identities" and "filters" preferences.  After that data gets serialized,
those arrays can easily exceed 4000 characters.

See the notes in the oracle creation scripts in the CVS version of Horde:

http://cvs.horde.org/co.php/horde/scripts/db/oracle_create.sql?r=1.3

It'll explain it better than I have.

Liam