[imp] Full IMAP support

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Jun 23 22:25:32 PDT 2003

Quoting ES <enno_schulz at gmx.net>:

> even if it's not the thing of ISP's, I would like to use IMP as a full
> featured IMAP-WebMail-Interface without any or only the preferences
> stored in a database (mysql) on the webmail server.

That's basically what Horde+IMP is.

> Therefore the main goal is that I don't want to use sendmail or smtp for
> sending mails but pure php IMAP functionality.

IMAP functionality has no provision for sending mail.  PHP does have a
mail function, but it has nothing to do with IMAP.

> Evenmore I would like to have all email-data stored in my IMAP
> Mailsystem (Domino 5.x or new 6.x).

That is the way IMAP and IMP work.

> INBOX, sent-mail, drafts should be retrieved/stored from/to the IMAP server.

That is how IMAP works.

> Is there anybody who has a working configuration or customized version
> of IMP that uses only the IMAP Server to store all the email-data in the
> IMAP databases on the serverside?

Basically all IMAP setups store all the email data in the IMAP database,
the preferences in a sql/ldap/etc database, and use some mailer or smtp
to send mail.  With the exception of your not wanting to use smtp/sendmail,
your request is basically the definition of IMP.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated because I would love to use IMP
> for that kind of solution (and I found nothing on the web to achieve this!).

Well, welcome to IMP.  But your conception of sending mail seems wrong,
and you need to decide how you want to handle that within the contraints
of imap.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics