[imp] Bug in IMP 3...

Tim Meader tmeader at cne-odin.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Jun 25 11:37:33 PDT 2003

Actually, I am not sure if this is so much as a bug as it is something that
would be very helpful to circumvent.

There appears to be a problem with the way that Eudora (at least all
version 5's) send MIME attachements.  It seems as though every attachment,
no matter the extension, is sent through as type
"application/octet-stream".   Reading the documentation for Eudora,
supposedly the [Mappings] section of its INI file is supposed to keep track
of this. However, it never seems to work. Everything is sent as type
octet-stream.  This of course is a problem in IMP when clicking on the name
of the attachment hyperlink in the message view.  Instead of opening a new
window and launching the associated application for that type (as a proper
MIME type would), octet-stream seems to open a blank window, and that's
it.  Keep in mind that when you click on the disk icon beside the
attachment listing, it downloads fine, and the attachment itself works
perfectly.  Also, I've tested every other email program I could get my
hands on: OE on Mac OSX and WinXP, Mozilla Mail on both platforms (mozilla
1.4rc3), Netscape 7.02 Mail on both platforms, and Apple Mail.  These all
send the MIME type perfectly.  But Eudora on both platforms always send ANY
attachment octet-stream. Any ideas of how a workaround might be written in
the IMP code somewhere, so that if the attachment type is
"application/octet-stream", to try rewriting it to "application/(file
extension)" in the message display pane?  This is a very homogenous
environment, 10,000+ users all Eudora... so I'm not concerned if this were
to break something for other clients really.

Thank you in advance.

---
Tim Meader
ODIN Unix Group
ACS Government Services, Inc. - (301) 286-8013
Tim.Meader at gsfc.nasa.gov