[imp] Bug in IMP 3...

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Jun 25 13:22:24 PDT 2003

Zitat von Tim Meader <tmeader at cne-odin.gsfc.nasa.gov>:

> Actually, I am not sure if this is so much as a bug as it is something
> that
> would be very helpful to circumvent.
>
> There appears to be a problem with the way that Eudora (at least all
> version 5's) send MIME attachements.  It seems as though every
> attachment,
> no matter the extension, is sent through as type
> "application/octet-stream".   Reading the documentation for Eudora,
> supposedly the [Mappings] section of its INI file is supposed to keep
> track
> of this. However, it never seems to work. Everything is sent as type
> octet-stream.  This of course is a problem in IMP when clicking on the
> name
> of the attachment hyperlink in the message view.  Instead of opening a
> new
> window and launching the associated application for that type (as a
> proper
> MIME type would), octet-stream seems to open a blank window, and that's
> it.  Keep in mind that when you click on the disk icon beside the
> attachment listing, it downloads fine, and the attachment itself works
> perfectly.  Also, I've tested every other email program I could get my
> hands on: OE on Mac OSX and WinXP, Mozilla Mail on both platforms
> (mozilla
> 1.4rc3), Netscape 7.02 Mail on both platforms, and Apple Mail.  These all
> send the MIME type perfectly.  But Eudora on both platforms always send
> ANY
> attachment octet-stream. Any ideas of how a workaround might be written
> in
> the IMP code somewhere, so that if the attachment type is
> "application/octet-stream", to try rewriting it to "application/(file
> extension)" in the message display pane?  This is a very homogenous
> environment, 10,000+ users all Eudora... so I'm not concerned if this
> were
> to break something for other clients really.

This happens already in IMP from CVS HEAD.
Attachments with the mime type application/octet-stream have a second link
to open them with the mime type the matches their filename extension.
Additionally we only allow opening of attachments in a new window if there
is a mime driver available for this mime type.

Jan.