Fwd: Re: [imp] Bug in IMP 3...

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Jun 25 13:55:23 PDT 2003

----- Weitergeleitete Nachricht von Tim.Meader at gsfc.nasa.gov -----
    Datum: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:47:24 -0400
    Von: Tim Meader <Tim.Meader at gsfc.nasa.gov>
Antwort an: Tim Meader <Tim.Meader at gsfc.nasa.gov>
 Betreff: Re: [imp] Bug in IMP 3...
      An: Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>

Thank you for replying so promptly.  Unfortunately I now have a very hard
decision to make.

This problem is becoming a HUGE annoyance for our user community. Is there
any chance of back-porting this feature to 3.2.1?  Was it simply based on
completely different code (as to where it can't easily be implemented)?  If
no back-port is planned, would it be possible to point me to where in the
code I would append the filename so that I can rewrite the MIME type. I see
the global $atc array in imp/message.php and I assume this would be where
to store it, but the sheer number of MIMExxxxx function calls after that
has me a bit confused.

In lieu of that... exactly how stable IS IMP4 at this point?

Thanks again.

At 04:22 PM 6/25/2003, you wrote:
>Zitat von Tim Meader <tmeader at cne-odin.gsfc.nasa.gov>:
>
> > Actually, I am not sure if this is so much as a bug as it is something
> > that
> > would be very helpful to circumvent.
> >
> > There appears to be a problem with the way that Eudora (at least all
> > version 5's) send MIME attachements.  It seems as though every
> > attachment,
> > no matter the extension, is sent through as type
> > "application/octet-stream".   Reading the documentation for Eudora,
> > supposedly the [Mappings] section of its INI file is supposed to keep
> > track
> > of this. However, it never seems to work. Everything is sent as type
> > octet-stream.  This of course is a problem in IMP when clicking on the
> > name
> > of the attachment hyperlink in the message view.  Instead of opening a
> > new
> > window and launching the associated application for that type (as a
> > proper
> > MIME type would), octet-stream seems to open a blank window, and that's
> > it.  Keep in mind that when you click on the disk icon beside the
> > attachment listing, it downloads fine, and the attachment itself works
> > perfectly.  Also, I've tested every other email program I could get my
> > hands on: OE on Mac OSX and WinXP, Mozilla Mail on both platforms
> > (mozilla
> > 1.4rc3), Netscape 7.02 Mail on both platforms, and Apple Mail.  These
all
> > send the MIME type perfectly.  But Eudora on both platforms always send
> > ANY
> > attachment octet-stream. Any ideas of how a workaround might be written
> > in
> > the IMP code somewhere, so that if the attachment type is
> > "application/octet-stream", to try rewriting it to "application/(file
> > extension)" in the message display pane?  This is a very homogenous
> > environment, 10,000+ users all Eudora... so I'm not concerned if this
> > were
> > to break something for other clients really.
>
>This happens already in IMP from CVS HEAD.
>Attachments with the mime type application/octet-stream have a second link
>to open them with the mime type the matches their filename extension.
>Additionally we only allow opening of attachments in a new window if there
>is a mime driver available for this mime type.
>
>Jan.
>
>--
>http://www.horde.org - The Horde Project
>http://www.ammma.de - discover your knowledge
>http://www.tip4all.de - Deine private Tippgemeinschaft
>
>--

---
Tim Meader
ODIN Unix Group
ACS Government Services, Inc. - (301) 286-8013
Tim.Meader at gsfc.nasa.gov

Jan.