[imp] Imp is too slow for large number of mails

Alexander Marx mad-ml at madness.at
Thu Jun 26 07:08:38 PDT 2003

Leonardo Fogel wrote:
> The major problem is that IMP does not cache the
> mails. So, if IMP is configured to list 30 mails per
> page, it will take someone about 1000/30 * 40 secs. to
> _list_ their 1000 ones.

hm .. i've never used imp w/ a pop3 backend, but i guess
imp has never been designed/tuned to work as a "pop3-client".

in your case maybe something like mailman webmail would be
the better choice?

regarding imp performance w/ an imap backend, imp looks very good here,
my mailingl-list account for example contains about 140000 mails,
with an verage folder size of 8000 mails/folder
and i takes approximatly 3-4sec to view folders ...
and this is just a poor little athlon 1000 w/ 512mb ram and two ide-drives ..

how does a "vmstat 1" on the webmail-box look like, during a webmail
session? is it disk or cpu bound?

alex.