[imp] Compose Email formatting.

rcooper at jamesconeyisland.com rcooper at jamesconeyisland.com
Thu Jun 26 12:16:55 PDT 2003

Quoting Andrew Morgan <morgan at orst.edu>:

> The usual line wrapping limit is 74/75 characters, not 80, which might
> be
> why your emails show up they way they do.  The problem is most
> (character-based) email programs have a screen width of 80 characters,
> but
> as soon as you reply to someone's email, it adds the "> " characters at
> the beginning of the line and the width increases.

Thank you for your reply.  I will try your suggestion beginning with this
email and set the word wrap to 74.  Still, it doesn't account for the
fact if i send an email and then go back  and view it from the 'sent'
folder, the formatting problem is there.

As it stands right now, the composer cannot be trusted to send the message
in the exact format I typed it .  I've confirmed this with at least 10 of
my test users, using a variety of web browsers on a variety of platforms,
and each has confirmed they have experienced this issue.  And judging
from reading mails in the different horde forums, I see these line
formatting problems with quite a few people, but do not know if they were
using IMP or not.  Still, there appears to be a lot who do not have this
problem, so I'd like to know what they are doing differently.

Thing is, we discovered we can take a snapshot of what the formatting will
look like by clicking the "attach" button with no filename in then
attachments field.  This somehow causes the composer to refresh it's
input revealing the improper formatting.

Thanks,
Ron