[imp] IMP and filters

Peter Solodov peter at alcor.concordia.ca
Mon Jul 14 12:51:36 PDT 2003

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Michael M. Slusarz wrote:
>| Hi,
>|
>| I don't understand the reason behind default filter's behavior.
>| Currently (IMP 3.2.1) if I select multiple headers for a filter,
>| then message which matches any of selected filters will be
>| filtered.  That seems clearly incorrect to me.  Only messages where
>| all selected headers have specified text should match that filter.
>|
>| Is there any reason behind that behavior?
>
> Yes.  Only 'OR' searches are supported via the PHP imap_search()
> function.

That's weird.  From RFC 2060:

      When multiple keys are specified, the result is the intersection
      (AND function) of all the messages that match those keys.  For
      example, the criteria DELETED FROM "SMITH" SINCE 1-Feb-1994 refers
      to all deleted messages from Smith that were placed in the mailbox
      since February 1, 1994.  A search key can also be a parenthesized
      list of one or more search keys (e.g. for use with the OR and NOT
      keys).

And I've just tested a simple fix for the search and indeed AND worked
properly...

> You must use the HEAD version of IMP to obtain the ability to do
> 'AND' searches, searching via other headers, NOT searching, etc.
> (Although HEAD still uses the imap_search() function, we use PHP
> code there to manipulate the results to be able to provide these
> features).

Good to know that.  But I'll wait till release to put it into
production :)

        - Peter

--
Peter Solodov                    | Concordia University
http://alcor.concordia.ca/~peter | Montreal, QC, Canada