[imp] Sizing an IMP server

kenneth yip kkyyip at hkusua.hku.hk
Tue Jul 15 04:02:01 PDT 2003

Hi

We are going to purchase a new Intel based server
to host the IMP front end. The Mysql back end
will be located on a Sun V480 server and the IMP
front end will access 2 backend e-mail servers using IMAP.

This Intel based server will run RH Linux and
very likely, with php accelerator. We haven't
determined whether to force all login to use SSL,
probably, we will let our users to choose by
themselves.

>From our existing webmail interface (not IMP),
the number of concurrent login users is around 1000
to 1300 and peak at 2000.

I am planning to get a dual Xeon 2.8G and 2GB memory
for this server. If anyone has experience in deploying
IMP in similar environment, please advise whether
the sizing is enough or not.

Any input is welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,