[imp] Sizing an IMP server

Richard Zuidhof rzuidhof at zonnet.nl
Tue Jul 15 05:07:54 PDT 2003

> From our existing webmail interface (not IMP),
> the number of concurrent login users is around 1000
> to 1300 and peak at 2000.
>
> I am planning to get a dual Xeon 2.8G and 2GB memory
> for this server. If anyone has experience in deploying
> IMP in similar environment, please advise whether
> the sizing is enough or not.
>
> Any input is welcomed.

We are doing about the same (5000 users per hour) but we balance the load
over two dual 1,8 Ghz Xeon servers with 4GB mem. At peak hours Apache is
using about 30% CPU. In case one goes down the other can just manage the
load. We are not using SSL.

So the size of your server is big enough but what about availability?

Richard