[imp] Does IMP handle a Lack of JavaScript ?

Martin Jones mlj at sabreit.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 05:43:36 PDT 2003

> > is not available.
> >
> > Is this a (known?) bug or expected behaviour ?
>
> Expected behaviour. We can determine by the browser signature if the browser
> version supports javascript, but not if the user disabled it. Besides that,
> some functions are simply not available if you disable javascript, though
> the main functions should work.

Given that for my own deployment the main requirements are the ability to
read and send mail when off-site I'd find it very useful if I could
configure IMP a manner such that 'compose' doesn't require javascript, or
even better use the algorithm 'if the preferences are not set to 'compose
in separate window' then avoid javascript.'

I suspect the simplest obvious solution is to hack the browser detection
code to always return 'no javascript', which is probably worth a trial to
see how much it afects the IMP behaviour.

How extensive would the required code changes be ? Any pointers on where
to start hacking ?

Thanks,

	Martin.

P.S. Time to hunt out a good 'learning PHP' reference text - any
suggestions for someone who's a passable perl programmer ?