[imp] Does IMP handle a Lack of JavaScript ?

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Aug 8 08:39:31 PDT 2003

Zitat von Liam Hoekenga <liamr at umich.edu>:

> > As there seems little point in returning a javascript popup URL, no
> matter
> > what the user's preferences say if the browser doesn't support
> > javascript.
>
> It's really too bad there's no straightforward way to query the browser
> to see
> if javascript is enabled.  It's great if we can tell if the browser
> supports
> javascript, but if a browser supports javascript but the user has it
> disabled,
> and Horde thinks that it should javascript.. the user experience can be
> less
> than ideal.
>
> Any thoughts on maybe adding a "detect javascript" feature to
> horde/lib/Browser.php?  The only "good" way I found to do something like
> that
> was to use javascript to set a cookie, and then check for the presence of
> that
> cookie later.  I realize that this can be foiled depending on how the
> user has
> cookie handling in their browser...

I use a hidden form field being changed by javascript on a login page. Much
more reliable than a cookie and works fine if the use *has* to login (or
submit any form). Thus this wouldn't work with transparent authentication
drivers.

> One of the problems we have IMP are the javascript dependencies
> (so much so, my boss occasionally wants to revisit other webmail packages
> - most
> specifically SquirrelMail).  Otherwise, we've been very happy w/ it.

Any patches that allow more functions to work without javascript while not
removing the bells and whistles provided by the js features will definitely
be applied to the source.

Jan.