[imp] Session timeout when sending a message in IMP 3.1

Stanley Yuen Stanley at itsc.cuhk.edu.hk
Sun Aug 10 20:28:52 PDT 2003

Dear all,

Our site is using IMP 3.1 and horde.   A user here suffered from a session
timeout problem.   He tried to send an e-mail after composing the message
over 15 minutes.   However, after he clicked the "Send" button, he got the
message "Your session has been expired".   Intially we believed this was a
session limit problem and we then changed the corresponding values to the
following:

session.gc_maxlifetime = 7200   ; garbage collection is now 2 hours
session.gc_probability = 25     ; percentage chance for gc each call
session.cookie_lifetime = 0     ; 0 means until browser restarted

But it did not solve his problem.   From the log file, we still found that
his session would be expired in 15-30 minutes.

I tried to repeat his problem by opening a composing window for 1.5 hours
and then sending the message, and I could send the message without problem.
It seemed that the problem was not caused by the session.gc_maxlifetime.

Did any experts receive report like this?   If yes, would I know your
solution on this?  BTW, session cookies has been enabled already and we use
file store IMP sessions, below please find a short summary of Horde/IMP
modules installed.

Horde Versions
	Horde: 2.1
	IMP: 3.1 (run IMP tests)
	Turba: 1.1
	Kronolith: 1.0
	Mnemo: 1.0
	Nag: 1.0
PHP Version
	View phpinfo() screen
	PHP Version: 4.2.2
	PHP Major Version: 4.2
	PHP Minor Version: 2
	PHP Version Classification: release
	You are running a supported version of PHP.
PHP Module Capabilities
	FTP Support: Yes
	Gettext Support: Yes
	IMAP Support: Yes