[imp] Re: HTML composition in non-IE browsers...

Ron Cooper rcooper at jamesconeyisland.com
Mon Aug 18 00:20:20 PDT 2003

Quoting Lord Apollyon <implist at paypc.com>:

> > So IE compatibility an etched in stone requirement?  Even If code is
> > submitted that works perfectly otherwise?
>
> The Horde project in general appears to be as inclusive as reasonably
> possible, but I don't think they'd be willing to sacrifice functionality in
> the most dominant browser platform.
>
> I'd imagine if a patch "filled in the holes" with respect to providing
> functionality for non-IE browsers with no degradation of existing support
> for IE browsers, it would be very warmly received.

Let me get this straight.  The piece of code thats been in active development
for months that we designed for imp may not even be considered for inclusion
because  it doesn't include support for a Microsoft browser?  Hummmph.

If thats the case, the 3 of us working on this code will just keep it to
ourselves then. In fact, we'd rather our code not be run in Windows out of
principal. Folks will have a problem with that, be we really don't care.
We aspire to write code that serves the Linux and the BSD community. We do not
even have access to a windows computer.  Fortunately most projects that
choose PHP can enjoy cross platform benefits, and we wish those who need this
the best of luck.

As it stands right now, our code works on every browser in the universe except
the MS one. In fact,, it crashes IE rather badly, so we have some work yet
to keep the code from even running when it detects a MS browser. None of use
really have access to a windows OS so it's kind of difficult to debug the
problem :).

We are in the process of cleaning it up and removing some really ugly code
that has managed to stay in the code base since the early days of development
when we were quite naive.

The other 2 Lad's working on the code are going back to MIT when the fall
semester starts and I'm, not sure when that is but real soon, plus I have 20
other projects going that are work related so it will be a little while longer
before we can resume development.

Chuck's tongue in cheek comment struck a nerve because we were getting ready
to ask what process needed to be followed in order for the code to be
considered for possible inclusion into CVS.

But after discussing this at length over way too much coffee and donuts, we
think we can better serve the community by concentrating exclusively on the
needs of the Linux/BSD community, and we do not wish to cause any disruptions
to this project.

Cheers
Ron.