[imp] Re: HTML composition in non-IE browsers...

Marko Djukic marko at oblo.com
Mon Aug 18 02:19:46 PDT 2003

Quoting Henry Blackman <h.blackman at chester.ac.uk>:

> > Let me get this straight.  The piece of code thats been in active
> development
> > for months that we designed for imp may not even be considered for
> inclusion
> > because  it doesn't include support for a Microsoft browser?  Hummmph.
>
> I'd point to the *fact* that real users (not the likes of us on these
> lists), on the whole, use IE.  I'd have to question overall, how useful
> would non-IE functionality be?
>
> That said, why don't you provide a patch against HEAD on your own website.
> I'm sure there are plenty of Mozilla/Firebird shops out there at use Horde
> and would very much appreciate a patch like this very much.

i'm not sure why is this becoming such a big issue, is there a problem with
having both pieces of code and a simple browser detect to figure out which one
to use? ... as opposed to bashing each other to find a solution for each code
to work on the other browser.

as a side thought, without having looked at the code for either, anyone ever
thought of making the javascript classes/drivers based? ie. have a main parent
classes which can contain common functions (that is if there are) and driver
subclasses for specific functions for each browser.

and i wouldn't discount the non-techy non-IE users. italy for example has quite
a few local government installs with official policies banning the use of
outlook and/or IE (virus/politics/etc.)

marko